Installing Small Boulder Walls
General Tips & Rules:
- The base course of boulders should be buried a minimum of 1/3 the height of the boulder.
- Compactable base material is not required under the boulder walls.
- Boulders should be placed so that you avoid large gaps and they are all touching.
- The base course of boulders should be set on the beginning edge of the "Dewitt" filter fabric.
- It is very important to back-fill and firmly pack solid after each row of boulders.
- Avoid using too small of boulders in the base or middle of the wall.
- A set back of 3.5" for every 1" is optimum, (a 30% slope) for the front of the wall.
- Using pallet forks for a bobcat works well for placing large boulders.
- The top row of boulders should be reasonably level, but varied enough for a natural look.
- Leave the finish grade a little high to account for settling.
- The filter fabric should be run all the way up the backside of the wall.
- To cut the excess fabric off the top, use a hand-help torch. Hold the fabric at the top and run the torch along the top course of boulders. This will leave a nice clean cut and save on blades.